Here's just a few reasons to ponder why the Cairns community will throw out this Council in March 2008... and what it's all really about...
- It's about the systematic removal of community camping grounds over the last 6 years (Woree, Yorkeys Knob, Gorndonvale, Clifton Beach)
- It's about the lack of respect for what local communities want their community to look like and not consulting.
- It's about treating our ecological environment and native wildlife as movable or replaceable obstacles.
- It's about not understanding what the tourism brochures market and why over 3 million visitors a year come to see what we have to offer, yet is disappearing under a Byrne-led government.
- It's about turning Buchans Point, Woree, Clifton Beach into another apartment block.
- It's about thinking you're smarter than a professor, calling experts neanderthals and saying that we've never ever had a natural disaster ever hit in the history Cairns.
- It's about not understanding what residents want as a place to live and what we want our children to inherit.
- It's about missing the point when it's funny to be funny, and when it's simply a bad call to dress up with a tea towel on your head.
- It's about realising it not a bad idea to turn up to functions on time as every councillor is a servant of the people, not the other way around.
- It's about the mass ground-swell of informed educated locals that want to put a stop to plunging our lifestyle and the visual appearance in our town.
- It's about allowing free and fair debate about how a Council uses public funds, instead of suing anyone who speaks out with a different view.
These are just some of my favourite things....