The Telegraph says that the number of MPs tweeting has skyrocketed, from 111 a year ago to 275 today. Prime Minister David Cameron is anti-Twitter after he said two years ago "the trouble with Twitter, the instantness of it - too many twits might make a twat."
In Cairns, Cook MP Jason O'Brien, and Mulgrave MP Curtis Pitt, are the most regular Twitter users, with 197 and 260 tweets chalked up respectively. Premier Anna Bligh has sent 2,800 tweets, with LNP's Scott Emerson at 1,417, followed by Queensland Party's Aidan McLindon at 1,219. David Gibson LNP Member for Gympie has sent 1,078.
Bligh has 20,150 followers, dwarfing Pitt's 397 and O'Brien's 258.
However when it comes to what they message about, ''Cairns'' rates at the bottom of the 20 most used words. across all MPs.
- Out of 89 sitting Queensland politicians, 25 are on Twitter
- 11,151 tweets have been posted
- 30 tweets per day on average in the past week
- 66% of tweets are made by 20% of tweeters
- 36% of tweeters are from Labor Party
- 49% of tweets are made by Liberal National Party members